Friday, November 10, 2006

Gift Scarves Done!!

I'm jazzed. Last night I finished the third of my planned gift scarves for this year. I still have some hats I want to knit, but they're not going to take as long as designing and knitting scarves. Jayne, who is a really fast knitter, has offered to knit up an earflap hat from her own pattern so she can write down the directions for me; what a pal!

So here, still unblocked, is the last scarf. I knitted this one with about 375yds of Elann's Highland Wool in the Deep Blue Sea color. This is a truly rich deep blue, though not navy, and therefore easier to see to knit. It's one of those colors that are hard to capture on camera, but I got a fairly good picture indoors, though you have to ignore Shadow, who was very reluctant to let me have the scarf for other photos, lol!


The pattern is a variation I thought up on the Twisted Rope Panel as shown in the Harmony Guides, Vol 3. I wrote up the directions as a seamen's style scarf, but this one could easily be done end to end, without the central neck ribbing. The pictures of the scarf alone are paler than the yarn, partly due to lighting and partly to show off the cable design. So if anyone would like the volunteer to be the test knitter, or is willing to try this design, please email me. There's a link in the bottom section of the post, next to the comment link.


This has been a week of tiredness, though I don't know why. It seems odd to attribute it to the switch from Daylight Savings Time, which was last weekend. But I've conked out a couple of times for an energizing afternoon nap; the cats are all for this, of course, since they can snuggle up. But napping cuts into knitting time, just as blogging and blog-reading and forum-posting, and so on does. Plus I just found a free online Sudoku game, that will teach you how to play, complete with do-overs, lol! I've finished the first 3 Very Easy puzzles, and yes, they are addictive; 'let's just do one more....'

6 comments:

LisaW. said...

have to laugh...my first thought was...did she knit that with fur yarn? then i realized it was one of the cats curled up. Oh dear..must get my eyes checked. Lovely patterns and beautiful color.

Anonymous said...

Well done! I really like the cables - hope you'll show us the blocked version. I, too, go blotto after Daylight Savings. Today I had 2 naps, one right after Cory's morning walk, and then one after lunch. It gets dark by about 5 here.

smariek said...

Shadow has found a cozy spot! You're never getting that scarf back... lol.

You are really talented at designing scarves! The scarf is beautiful. I notice your predilection for knitting seamen style scarves...

Oh my, you're gonna lose lots of time with Sudoku. I was hooked on it many months back, and went to a different site (http://www.websudoku.com/) to play. I also checked out a Sudoku book from the library and manually entered in all the puzzles into my Palm pda (after downloading a Sudoku applet for the Palm) so I could play while I'm out & about and have to wait for something...

Anonymous said...

Just love cable scarves! Great job!

Cindy G said...

Hooray! That's a lot of knitting done. This scarf, too, is beautiful (though Shadow is even beautifuller - If I were the giftee, I would want the scarf "cat included") Seriously, wonderful cable pattern.

jayne said...

LOL -- I love to see how your cats always model your progress...or are they modelling themselves? One never knows with cats.

Good thing I've done and blogged the hat. Thanks for the credit. You're a pal too!! Hey, and DS will be glad to get the hat. He could use some cheering up (he's finding school terribly boring).

Uh-oh Sudoku. Those make my brain HURT. I can do them but I am terribly slow, and I hate them. I can waste a great deal of time on all kinds of other things, but not those.