Thursday, August 7, 2008

Moving Slowly, but Moving

I'm still here, still recovering, still very little stamina. But there is a tunnel and I'm seeing some light way down there. DH and I have been walking around our (very long) block at night, after the temps drop out of the 80s, and I'm getting faster.

I've read my way (for the 2nd time) through most of Dana Stabenow's 'Kate Shugak' books, up to about pub. date 2000 - I'm missing a couple of books at that point, and neither Amazon, Borders, nor B&N has them in stock. These, and her 4 'Liam Campbell' books, have meant a lot of nose-to-page extreme close-up examination of the big AAA road atlas of Alaska (bigger than our world atlas pages). Yeah, not many roads in Alaska, but still, AAA has good maps. DH is a very good source of info on Alaska; he spent 7 years working for a major CPA firm in Anchorage, and did financial audits all over the state, including around Nome and Barrow.

Yeah, I know, Stabenow's 'universe' isn't quite the same as ours, but it's close; Kate does live in a version of Wrangell-St Elias park, and there really is a Bristol Bay (Liam). Has anyone besides me noticed that there are significant similarities between the 4 Liam Campbell stories and Nora Roberts' Northern Lights? Cop falls to bottom of his world, moves to back-of-beyond in Alaska, has hot-but-complicated love affair with local female air-taxi pilot, finds decades-old murder to solve.

Haven't had the attention span to knit much; trust me, reading is easier to stick with. I also haven't done much blog reading, though I've been checking in at the Elann Chat Center as well as my emails.

I have to spend some TV time, though; I'm behind 6 episodes of Doctor Who. And 4 of Stargate Atlantis. TiVo is getting full.

More later, and thanks so much to all of you who have commented and sent warm, healing thoughts. Mwwahhh!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you are feeling better.

Joan said...

Glad you are feeling better, CBM! Reading and strolling are perfect for you right now.

Cindy G said...

Glad things are improving, if slowly. Sending good thoughts your way.

smariek said...

Good to hear you're doing better and even taking long walks in the evenings when the sun isn't beating down on you like the eruption of Vesuvius in 79 AD. Have you caught up with Doctor Who? What fun, I have to rewatch the last 2 episodes of the season because so much is happening.

I wanna go see David Tennant and Patrick Stewart in Hamlet. Besides being on the wrong side of the pond, DH reminds me that I wouldn't be seeing the Doctor talking to Jean Luc or Xavier. lol

Lorraine said...

Hi Barbara,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been sick, but glad to hear you are doing better.

I was unable to e-mail you. I'm about to make the wool peddlers shawl and would like to know what yarn and the needle size that you used. It's for my Mom's 80th birthday and so I don't want to screw up and your's turned out so nice.

Hugs,
Lorraine