Friday, October 6, 2006

Coming Out of the Dark

The headaches are finally down to a very low roar. What a relief! I finished a scarf last night, for the Red Scarf Project. This is 2 skeins of Paton's Shetland Chunky Tweed, done in mistake rib on size 10.5US. The yarn is a very nice acrylic/wool blend, machine washable and dryable, and doing it on slightly oversize needles makes it sproingy and soft. I'll wash it before I send it off, something which I find makes even the cheapest acrylics much softer. That's Middy's tail; she's watching the squirrels frisking around the arbor.


It was 68F in the house when I got up this morning, just lovely, enough crispiness to say 'Fall'. But, like the shoemaker's children who had no shoes, I'm a knitter with no warm shawls. That pesky Elann Sierra Aran yarn is still calling to me, but I'm still keeping my finger off the 'Buy' button. I went stash diving and I found treasure! I have 20 skeins of Elann's Highland Wool Chunky that I bought a couple of years ago because of the color; I don't think the yarn is still being produced in this weight. The color is Tranquil Lagoon, a lovely heathery (!!!) lavender-blue sort of color, and with 20 skeins, I have 1800 yards, enough to make a gi-normous shawl. I'm trying to choose from the patterns in Cheryl Oberle's Folk Shawls, but the choices are all so tempting. Wool Peddler's? Lacy Prairie? Highland Triangle? Feather and Fan? Highland Triangle and Wool Peddler's are the front-runners, and Wool Peddler's will go really fast. If I make WP, I'll still have 1000yds for another project. That's a happy thought!

Shadow finds the Tranquil Lagoon good for scritching her chin.

3 comments:

Grace said...

If you are going to use your stash I vote for The feather and fan triangle or the Highland triangle, they make such beautiful enveloping warm shawls, My FF is out of Manos and The Highland was LB Jiffy

Anonymous said...

I have the Highland Triangle on my to-do list too. I made the Lacy Prairie Shawl and it is a fast, easy knit. I used the Baabajoes DK weight and it is quite a large, warm shawl. Yesterday, I wore my Wool Peddlers shawl to the store and got a few admiring glances. You really can't go wrong making any of the shawls in that book!

CatBookMom said...

Thanks for the input, both of you. I think I'll try swatching the main pattern in the Highland Triangle and see how that goes.

Did you see the other 'highland triangle' shawl that Grumperina recently finished? I really like it, but not enough to buy Wrap Style.