Here's my progress since Saturday. It is incredibly easier to knit socks in worsted weight with size US4 or 6 needles than to work with sock yarn and US 1-2. The green pair I did with size US5, and it is my very first effort at a toe-up sock. I like the concept, particularly since it doesn't involve my own nemesis - Kitchener stitching - but I'm not loving those short-row heels. Even though I carefully made every single wrap & turn, I still had decorative but unwanted eyelets. I will be attaching a mini-skein of yarn and a darning needle for future repairs, even though I've tried to duplicate-stitch or darn every weak spot. This is done with Paton's Classic Wool, in a lovely dark foresty green color, trimmed at the top with a bit of Paton's Decor wool blend. I did use some nylon reinforcement at the heel on this one.
The orange pair is done top down. The 'finished' sock needs some help with the Kitchener, even after 3 tries, and it will go, with its mate, to Unwind on Friday for a sewing lesson. I *know* how to do Kitchener (purl on, knit off; knit on, purl off), it just never seems to come out right. Both of these yarns are left over from my holiday hat-making, being Nashua's Creative Focus worsted weight superwash wool. This is done with the basic slip-stitch heel, but I forgot to go find some reinforcing nylon for this heel - I'm totally positive I don't have any in orange - though IMHO the slip-stitch technique makes a sturdier fabric than the short-row heel.
All the WIPs from my last post are still WIPs-in-waiting, but I'm a bit jazzed! Today's post at the Yarn Harlot shows that Stephanie herself is also doing an EZ ribwarmer, the same pattern as my lavender-pink project!!! Her pictures are better than mine, no surprise, and she's got both pieces done. But still, knitterly sisterhood, y'know.
I will finish with a completely off-topic bit of news: the Powers That Be